• 14-year-old Dalit Girl Raped and Set on Fire in Muzaffarnagar, Dies

    Ravi Kaushal

    May 30, 2019

    Uttar Pradesh Police on Tuesday booked seven persons in Muzaffarnagar for allegedly raping a 14-year-old Dalit girl who was later set on fire. The body of the girl was found in a charred state inside a makeshift home near a brick kiln where the family of the victim worked. The police have registered a first information report (FIR) on the charges of gang rape, murder and sections of Scheduled Castes Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

    In its complaint to the police, the father of the victim alleged that the incident took place when he and his wife had gone away to purchase medicine. They said that their daughter had died after she was set on fire by the accused persons. He added that he has been working at the brick kiln and had come to his village Badai Kalan to visit his wife. The victim was sleeping inside her home while her brother was sleeping outside it, he said.

    Ajay Paliwal, assembly in-charge of Bhim Army, told Newsclick: “We heard that the girl was first raped, burnt in bushes, and was brought back into her house. When we reached the spot, we found that the body was charred. Sensing the gravity of the matter, we called the police. The police have registered the case, but are not willing to act proactively.

    He added, "The legs of the girl were wounded and there were rope marks on her ankles. While the body was completely charred, the feet were stained in mortar. This is a heinous crime. She was just 14-year-old girl. How can someone do such brutal things to her?"

    Another resident of the village, who requested anonymity, said the family is facing extreme pressure from the brick kiln owner and the other accused to withdraw the case. He said, "Around 40 workers work at the brick kiln, but everyone is silent on the matter."

    Questioning the role of the police in this context, he further claimed, "We had found blood patches and footprints in the field too, but all were removed by the policemen, who filled water in the field.

    Commenting on the incident, Deputy Superintendent of Police, Harish Bhadauria, told Newsclick, "The preliminary investigation and post-mortem report suggest that the victim died of asphyxia and burn injuries. We are gathering evidence in the matter and made no arrest. The family did not allege any rape in the first complaint, but they have changed the statement now. A statement of girl's father will be recorded in front of the magistrate."


    First published in Newsclick.

    Donate to the Indian Writers' Forum, a public trust that belongs to all of us.